Network leader competencies
I have a new (well, expanded really) role at work. So I thought I’d see what you might know that could help me. I’m moving into HR with this new role and will be responsible for network leaders. The exact details of the role don’t matter as they’re being worked out. But what I have to do is come up with Network Leader competencies. These network leaders will be heading up multi-disciplinary networks, mainly lawyers. So here’s what I’ve dreamed up so far:
- Building capacity – spotting talent within the team; providing opportunities to move to other teams; understanding the base, mid and high-level competencies required for a profession (ie lawyers); professionally developing team members; coaching/mentoring.
- Building sustainability – understanding that the network, like a garden, has to be nurtured and cared for; building in learning opportunities that will attract and retain talented people; succession planning; spotting cross-network opportunities.
- Adaptive leadership – understanding that the network leader isn’t the hero with expertise; leadership is distributed throughout the network and another leader may emerge in a given situation who can better handle the specific issues; leader as facilitator, guide, mentor but understanding that there are times when a leader must be directional; understanding styles of leadership within the team. Also self-awareness, Emotional Intelligence.
- Knowledge leveraging – the usual stuff around KM including AARs, narratives and so on.
- Building relationships – connecting people within the team and beyond; boundary spanner; building strategic partnerships.
There would also be Organisational competencies like Communication, Strategic Thinking, Negotiation, Teamwork and so on but I need to figure out specific Network Leader competencies. There should only be 4 or 5 specific to Network Leaders. Any thoughts?